Slideshow

Friday, August 21, 2009

Pre-flight blog

Looking back at my Taiwan blog I find it truly amazing that less than a year ago I was in living my life in Taiwan soaking up the wonders, and joys of Asia; and also discovering a little bit about myself along the way. But that was then and this is now, and this blog is for my trip to China. I depart tomorrow and head for Shanghai where I will be visiting with some friends that I met while in Taiwan, and while at Sen Lin Hu the Chinese summer camp I worked at this summer. After Shanghai, I am off to Beijing where I will be studying at Beida(北京大学). I will be taking two classes taught in English, and a Chinese course. When I am not at school I will be conducting my internship with CNN's Beijing Bureau. I am not entirely sure about what I will be doing with CNN but I am ready for any and all adventures.

There is no mistake that I have chosen red to be the color this blog. Much like a hong bao (red envelope) that is giving during to children during Chinese New Year, or the lanterns that hang in the temples. Red is the color of luck, it represents the desire for prosperity and happiness. I hope that my trip to China is filled with both of those things. This blog will chronicle my time in China. I hope to use this as an outlet for my adventure, for a way to observe and comment on China (or at least Beijing), and the lives of the common folk, the Laobaixing (the old hundred names). It is getting late right now, but I just wanted to get this blog "officially" up and running. Look for plenty of posts in the near future. Thank you everyone for your support, and I hope you enjoy reading about my adventures in Beijing, China.

Gao Jian
高健

5 comments:

  1. Bon Voyage, Jake. We are so proud of you! We will be with you in spirit and connected by all the good things that connect us so deeply. Adventurize! We will enjoy following your experiences here online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful trip and experience. We will be
    enjoying your adventures along with you. I am so proud of the man you have become and know your goodness will carry you far in your Chinese adventures. Looking forward to your next blog already...with much love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, you are leaving already?! Say hi for me to Shanghai!!! Bon Voyage~ ;) Lele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cannot wait to read all about your adventures in China!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gao Jian, thanks for sending me the link. I enjoyed reading your first blog, and I wanted to read more. But, before I started moving to the next blog, mt eyes got really tired because of the background color of your blog. Is there a way you can change the color contrast so that it will be more comfortable to read? I believe other people may have the same problem as I did. Thanks! :)

    -- Jingzi

    ReplyDelete